If you want to make authentic-tasting Indian food, but without using any oil, this is the perfect dish for you.
• 1 medium purple eggplant, un-peeled, cut into 1/2″ cubes
• 5 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
• 1 medium tomato cut into 1/2″ cubes
• 1 1/2 cups fat free tomato sauce
• cooking spray
• Pinch of asafetida (hing) (not mandatory)
• 1 teaspoon cumin seed
• 1 small chopped green chili (jalepeno-deseeded) adjust to taste!
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger
• 1 tablespoon coriander powder
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
• 2 tablespoons or more chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) . Lay out chopped eggplant on one non-stick cooking sheet and chopped potato on the other. Roast eggplant for approximately 15 minutes, until it is starting to soften but not mushy. Roast potatoes for approximately 25 minutes, until edges are starting to brown and potatoes are just cooked.
- While eggplant and potatoes are roasting, place the grated ginger, jalapeño, coriander powder, paprika, turmeric, and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Mix to make a paste.
- Heat a cast iron or nonstick pot over medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the pot; if seed cracks right away, the pot is heated to the right temperature.
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida after seed cracks. Add the spice mixture and stir-fry for 20 seconds, stirring continuously.
- Add chopped tomato and stir-fry for a minute. Add tomato sauce. Mix well.
- Add roasted potatoes and eggplant. Mix gently and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on medium-low heat. Taste and add salt, if needed. Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro. Mix well.
Source: Healthy Girl’s Kitchen