The warm summer weather is enough to get anyone into a holiday mode, but it’s important not to relax your oral care routine. We’ve listed our top tips for maintaining a healthy mouth this summer.
- Drink water as most people don’t realise water is effective in washing away plaque-causing bacteria and it helps to maintain fresh breath.
- Avoid high sugar drinks, even those that seem healthy such as fruit juice or drinks labelled “all-natural.” Instead, choose plain water, unsweetened tea or diluted juice.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly as cleaner teeth are far less likely to become decayed. When brushing, concentrate on cleaning all tooth surfaces. Flossing cleans areas that cannot be reached by a toothbrush, so don’t skip this essential daily task.
- After brushing, rinse your toothbrush thoroughly and place it upright to dry. A wet toothbrush easily breeds bacteria, and make sure your toothbrush doesn’t touch anyone else’s while drying.
- When enjoying a cool drink, leave the ice in the glass as chewing ice can easily damage teeth, causing microscopic chips and cracks that cause tooth sensitivity.
- Stock up on dental supplies and especially if you are going on holiday. If you do run out of toothpaste, remember you can still brush with water to help remove plaque bacteria.